The McAllen Parks and Recreation Department Aquatics Division offers a full aquatic recreational program throughout the year. From Gus & Goldie Learn-to-Swim Program to a variety of American Red Cross programs, participants of all ages can take part in our programs to learn the important skills of water safety. The division also maintains and operates four aquatic facilities. These pools are located in strategic points throughout the city. The pools are used for aquatic programming, special events, and are also available to rent for birthday parties, school outings and corporate events. For more information on rental policies and availability please visit the Rental Page.
SEARCH AVAILABLE PROGRAMS
VIEW PUBLIC SWIM & LAP SWIM SCHEDULES
- Public Swim - All swimmers must wear appropriate swim attire. No cut-off shorts, gym shorts or leotards. Board shorts with draw strings are allowed. Swim diapers and swim suits are necessary for infants. No diapers or disposable swim diapers (little swimmers) allowed. Every person entering the pool must pay admission fee. Children ages 3 and under are free with an adult.
- Lap Swim - Lap swimming is an excellent low-impact cardio exercise that helps to strengthen both the heart and lungs while toning the entire body. Lap swimming is perfect for those who want to exercise without putting excess pressure on their joints.
- Water Aerobics - Program consists of light warm-up exercises in shallow water, working up to more vigorous aerobic actions. Ability to swim is not required.
- Swim Lessons (Gus & Goldie Learn-To-Swim Program) REGISTER ONLINE
- Parent & Baby Infant (6 - 18 months)
- Parent & Baby Toddler (18 - 48 months)
- Pre-School (Ages 3 - 5 years)
- Youth (Ages 6 - 13 years)
- Adaptive Aquatics - Instructional swimming program for young people with disabilities. Focus is placed on an individual's abilities, not their disabilities.
- Home School Classes - The perfect opportunity to add physical education and fitness to the home school curriculum. Students are divided into swim groups according to skill level. Contact the Aquatics Superintendent for more information on scheduling a class for your home school group.
- Swim Team - Certified coaches conduct workouts, help improve swimming skills and work individually with swimmers to help them become competitive athletes. Train throughout the year to help prepare for the summer swim meet schedule. PREREQUISITES Participants must be able to swim 50 yards comfortably and have no fear of the water.
- Lifeguard Certification Program - REGISTER ONLINE Certification class provides necessary training for those individuals wanting to become lifeguards. CPR for the Professional Rescuer and First Aid books and certifications are included. PREREQUISITES: Individuals must be at least 15 years old and must be able to complete the following tests: timed brick retrieval and 300 yard swim using front crawl and breaststroke.
AQUATICS SPECIAL EVENTS
- Underwater Egg Hunt
- McAllen Pools Gone Wild
- Dive-In Movie
- Doggie Day at the Pool
- Camp Cascade