Signal Approval & Installation
The McAllen City Commission is the governing body that approves a new traffic signal, upon satisfactory findings of the city traffic study and evaluation. If approved, several things can affect how soon a signal may be installed, such as the need for city or state coordination, preparation of engineering plans and complexity of contract awards and installation. Generally, if everything proceeds smoothly and funds are available, an approved traffic signal could be installed approximately from 12 to 24 months after a request is made.
Current signal coordination exists for the eleven major corridors found in the City of McAllen, generally from 7:00am to 7:00pm, Monday thru Friday.
Signal Study Final Report
Warrants For Stop Signs
Because the STOP sign causes a substantial inconvenience to motorists, it should be used only where warranted. Also, STOP signs are not used for speed control.
The "Multi-way Stop" installation is useful as a safety measure at some locations. It should ordinarily be used only where the volume of traffic on the intersecting roads is approximately equal. A traffic control signal is more satisfactory for an intersection with a heavy volume of traffic. Any of the following conditions may warrant a Multi-way STOP sign installation.
- Where traffic signals are warranted and urgently needed, the Multi-way stop is an interim measure that can be installed quickly to control traffic while arrangements are being made for the traffic signal installation.
- An accident problem, as indicated by five or more reported accidents for a type susceptible of correction by a Multi-way stop installation in a 12-month period. Such accidents include right-and-left angle collisions.
- Minimum traffic volumes
- The total vehicular volume entering the intersection from all approaches must average at least 500 vehicles per hour for any 8 hours of an average day, and
- The combined vehicular and pedestrian volume from the minor street or highway must average at least 200 pedestrians per hour for the same 8 hours, with an average delay to minor street vehicular traffic of at least 30 seconds per vehicle during the maximum hour, but
- When the 85-percentile approach speed of the major street traffic exceeds 40 miles per hour, the minimum vehicular volume warrant is 70 percent of the above requirements
If you would like to request or report a sign or signal, or would like additional information, please contact us at:
For Urgent Situations
After Hours Please Call