Highlights of Commission Meeting (6/25) Posted
Posted By MCN reporter Neo Canales
Here are some of the highlights of this week's city commission meeting:
- Commissioners were first joined by the McAllen Utility Board to approve the sale of $1.1 million in bonds to the Texas Water Development Board. The money will be used for the Sprague Road sewer project, providing a sewer line from 29th and Sprague to Trosper Road.
- The engineering department announced that railroad infrastructure improvements are underway on the remaining stretch of the Bicentennial Boulevard extension.
- The city finance director, Jerry Dale, presented his 6-month report on the city's financial well being. He reported an improvement in sales tax revenues, signs of economic improvement at the international bridges and the McAllen International Airport. Real estate values remain unchanged and there was a slight decrease in the labor force.
- The City Commission approved a surveillance camera system for city buses that would help monitor activity inside and outside city buses.
- The drainage portion of the Bentsen Road widening project, from Pecan to Nolana, is essentially complete. The paving part of the project is now underway.
McAllen City Commission meetings are seen live on MCN, every 2nd and 4th Monday of each month. Repeats of the meetings are run on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays at 6 & 11 am and at 6 & 11 pm. MCN is now digital on Time Warner Channel 17.12.