Courtesy: Boultinghouse Simpson Gates Architects (BSGA)*
While the New McAllen Public Library is receiving accolades for award winning interior designs, sustainability features that reduce the building's carbon footprint are deserving of the public's attention, such as:
- Sensor controlled lighting system which automatically balances natural daylight and artificial light in the Children's Reading Room and the Main Reading Room.
- Water-cooled Chilled Water Air-Conditioning System utilizing state-of-the-art magnetic drive chillers for high efficiency cooling.
- Fully programmable energy management system to automatically control Mechanical and Electrical Systems for maximum efficiency.
- Condensate Water recovery and recycling system minimizes water consumption of the HVAC System.
Probably the most outstanding sustainable feature of this building is itself...not having been demolished and hauled to a landfill site. The City of McAllen should be commended for recognizing the value of the old building and making the commitment to re-purposing it.
Boultinghouse Simpson Architects (BSA) of McAllen, Texas, Architect of Record and Principal Architecture firm for the New McAllen Public Library (MPL) for the City of McAllen, would like to congratulate MS&R Architecture of Minneapolis for its recent awards from the International Interior Design Association. MS&R teamed with BSA of McAllen to provide most of the interior design services for the new library including: library programming, architectural interiors, contract furniture-fixtures-equipment and signage.
Directed to make the exterior of the new library not look like the old Wal-Mart, Boultinghouse Simpson Architects incorporated bold geometric shapes, water features, and colorful LED lighting at the covered entrances to welcome visitors to the new venue. Transforming the oversized parking lot with bold landscaping elements and numerous islands both reduced storm water run-off and created public gathering, walking and sitting spaces for nature oriented Valleyites.
Several other consulting firms under the direction of BSA contributed to the success of this project including, by discipline & home town:
- Perez Consulting Engineers - McAllen - Civil Engineering
- Bill Reiffert & Associates, Inc. - San Antonio - Structural Engineering
- ACR Engineering, Inc. - Austin/Harlingen - HVAC, Electrical, Plumbing, IT Infrastructure
- Terra Design Group - San Antonio - Landscape Architecture
- BAi - Austin - Acoustical & Audio Visual Design
In addition to the above consultants, we would like to recognize the City of McAllen for its foresight in planning this project, and for its commitment to execution of a project well done. We would especially like to recognize Mr. Jose Gamez, the former Director of Library Services for the City of McAllen for his dedication to the success of this project.
Many other individuals, too numerous to mention, have contributed to the success of this building, from members of the MPL Board, the McAllen Teen Library Advisory Board, Friends of the Library, and the McAllen Mayor, City Commission and Staff.
The General Contractor for the project was Barcom Commercial, Inc. located in Corpus Christi, Texas.
*Formerly Boultinghouse Simpson & Assoc., Inc.