The Aquatics Division offers a full array of programs designed to appeal to everyone. Learn-to-Swim classes are offered for every age. American Red Cross classes give students a chance to earn certifications in lifeguarding and water safety. For those interested in learning to canoe or dive, these classes are offered as well. And, finally, the City’s public swimming pools offer public swimming, lap swimming, or water aerobics at convenient times throughout the day.
- Parent/Baby Water Orientation - (6 months - 2 years, 11 months)
- Introduces the infant or toddler to the pleasures of the water. The parent is instructed in techniques for teaching their child fundamental water skills. At least one parent per child will be strictly enforced. All persons must wear swimming suits. Plastic pants are recommended for infants. NO DIAPERS!!!
- Preschool Learn-to-Swim - (3, 4, & 5 years)
- This program will help children make the physical and mental adjustment of submerging their faces under water and holding their breath without discomfort. Once they pass this stage, they are taught to float on their front and back and progress to learning arm strokes.
- Youth Learn-to-Swim - (6 to 14 years)
- A standard advancement program will be taught. Instruction for Non-Swimmers/Beginners through Swimmers is scheduled at all class times.
- Adult & Teen Learn-to-Swim
- The individual is taken through a series of progressive steps, allowing everyone to learn at their own pace.
- City of McAllen Swimming Instructor Apprentice
- This class is for those individuals who have the swimming skills and knowledge to teach or assist instructors, but do not meet the age requirement. These persons, upon successful completion of class, will be eligible to become "apprentice instructors" for the City of McAllen. These individuals may aide instructors with swimming classes and the Swimming Program operation.
PREREQUISITES: Excellent swimming ability and positive attitude.
- Camp Cascade
- This is a morning camp, held at Cascade Swimming Pool, designed to initiate youth, ages 8-15, in many different Aquatic activities. The program includes Canoeing, Snorkeling, Diving, Rescue Swimming, Lifesaving, and, of course, Swimming.
- Springboard Diving
- A qualified instructor teaches many of the basic dives and take participants through a series of progressively more challenging competitive dives. You will also learn how diving competition works. This class is for beginners, as well as, advanced divers.
- T.A.A.F. Summer Swim Team
- Those individuals wishing to swim competitively are encouraged to join the City of McAllen T.A.A.F. Swim Team. Certified coaches will conduct workouts, help improve swimming skills and work individually with swimmers to help them become the best they can be. Swim meets will be held with other swim teams throughout the Summer. Participants must be able to swim 50 yards, comfortably, and have no fear of the water. Swimmers cannot have participated in U.S.S. swim meets in the past year.
- American Red Cross Lifeguard Training
- This class will provide the necessary training for those persons wanting to become lifeguards. CPR for the Professional Rescuer and First Aid books and certifications are included in the class. Reimbursement of $40 will be given IF the student is subsequently hired for the City of McAllen Lifeguard staff.
PREREQUISITES: 15 years old; timed brick retrieval; 300 yard swim, using frontcrawl and breaststroke.
- Public Swimming
- ManyMunicipal Swimming Pools are open to the public every summer and on weekends throughout the year. All swimmers must wear appropriate swim attire. Please contact each pool for hours.
- Lap Swimming
- Lap swimming is available for those who want to exercise and swim at their own pace.
- Gus & Goldie Adapted Aquatics
- This is an instructional swimming program for young people with disabilities. Focus is placed on an individual's abilities, not their disabilities.
- Water Aerobics
- This program will consist of light warm-up exercises in shallow water, working up to more vigorous aerobic actions. Ability to swim is not required.