The Parks & Recreation Department is appropriated under the Culture and Recreation Division of the City's General Fund (Building Maintenance is included in the General Government Division and Sundance is included in the Civic Center Fund). The Department has seven (7) divisions, which are: Administrative, Parks, Recreation, Aquatics, Community Centers, Building Maintenance, and Sundance Mobile Home Park.
Parks & Recreation Divisions
- Is responsible for the organization and management of the Department's seven divisions. It manages payroll and personnel functions for full-time (112) and part-time (300) employees, processes incoming telephone traffic, thus providing facility and service information to the public. The Division rents parks, ball fields and other facilities and handles the incoming revenue from recreation, aquatic, and other programs. Administration projects long range park and open space needs, writes grants for special programs, administers construction projects, sets goals and monitors service delivery for all divisions. The Department also manages shelter operations for the City in the event of disaster.
- Provides maintenance for 109 City properties, including the City's parklands, facilities, boulevards and municipal building grounds. The division also assists with nearly 50 special events each year hosted by the City. These include parades, festivals, holiday programs, special gatherings, and dedications. In addition, the Division provides short range planning for parks, landscapes, and other outdoor facilities, including irrigation system design, landscape and park design, park and facility construction management. The Division assists the Administration Division with long-range park and open space planning and grant writing for special programs and projects.
- Plans and administers cultural programs, leisure activities and special events for all age groups within the city. The Division conducts perennial and summer recreation programs, which are coordinated with the residents of McAllen, athletic organizations, schools and other groups.
- Maintains and operates five (5) swimming pools within the City. These facilities are used by the City for its programs, the McAllen Independent School District (MISD) 3rd grade learn-to-swim and UIL swimming, by the Boys' and Girls' Club and the McAllen Swim Club (MSC). Two of the facilities operate eleven (11) months a year while the other three operate only during the three summer months.
- Community Centers
- Provide indoor cultural programs, leisure activities, and lifetime skills education in the community. The Department operates three Community Centers: the McAllen Senior Citizens' Center, Lark and Palm View Community Centers and Branch Libraries. These centers provide classroom space and gymnasium space for the Recreation Division. Each of the three Centers also provides outreach programming within their service areas, which include the After-school programs at eleven elementary schools. The centers are available for rental to host small socials, such as quinceneras, weddings, birthday parties, or other gatherings. The Center managers are responsible for the operation and management of the building.
- Building Maintenance
- Provides maintenance and minor construction services for all City buildings, including administration of outsourced preventive maintenance. The Division manages major repair and renovation projects, technical advice, cost estimates, bidding, contracting, and job oversight of services provided by the private sector. In addition, the Division supervises and trains janitorial services at City buildings.
- Sundance Mobile Home Park
- Enforces rules, collects rent and maintains the property.