The Aquatics Division offers a full array of programs designed to appeal to everyone. Learn-to-Swim classes are offered for every age. American Red Cross classes give students a chance to earn certifications in lifeguarding and water safety. For those interested in learning to canoe or dive, these classes are offered as well. And, finally, the City’s public swimming pools offer public swimming, lap swimming, or water aerobics at convenient times throughout the day.
- Mexican Ballet Folklorico
- The preservation of our local culture. Participants learn traditional dances from various states in Mexico. Ages 3 & Up can participate.
- Students will learn a variety of chants, cheers, yells, jumps, and etiquette necessary to be a good cheerleader. The class is available for children 3 years and older.
- This class teaches basic tumbling many other gymnastics skills. Great for children ages 3 and up.
- Jazz Dance
- Dance to all those exciting songs you hear on the radio and Broadway. Students will learn basic dance moves and expand their skills.
- Modeling & Poise
- This class teaches modeling skills such as makeup and runway modeling, and will help students develop confidence.
- Exercise fun for all ages and abilities. Classes are held during the week in the evening. Class is modified for low, moderate, and high impact workouts depending on personal preference.
- Performing Groups
- These classes are for those participants that have mastered specific skills and are willing to perform for numerous audiences. Performing groups are available for Mexican Ballet, Folklorico, Cheerleading, Twirling, Jazz, and Streetdance.
Supervised Gymnasium & Playground Program
- Morning Supervised Playground Program
- Sites: Gonzalez, Jackson, Milam, Rayburn Elem. Schools & Los Encinos Park
Warm summer days with loads of fun at the Recreation Department's excellent playground program. Local field trips and city-wide special events add up to a wonderful summer. Special needs children will be accommodated at Milam Elementary School.
- Afternoon Supervised Gymnasium Program
- Sites: De Leon, Morris & Travis Middle Schools
A special gymnasium program with a variety of events and activities is planned. Special needs children will be accommodated at the De Leon Middle School location.
- Apprentice Program
- This program is designed to build self-esteem, self-worth, and to instill the work ethic. The program gives youth the opportunity to gain valuable work experience by being apprentices in recreation programs. To be an apprentice, the participant must be registered in the training class by a parent or guardian. Apprentices will perform staff approved "jobs" at one or more of the Supervised Playground or Gym sites. This program is for youth ages 12-15 years old.