McAllen Police Department
Staff Services Bureau
The City of McAllen is a progressive, growing city of approximately 138,659 people. As one of the largest cities in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas, it supports a broad economic base in agriculture manufacturing, health care and tourism.
In 1996, McAllen was honored as an All America City and consistently ranks high in national and state studies of economic growth and quality of life. McAllen enjoys an ideal semi-tropical climate with mild winters and warm summers.
The McAllen Police Department reflects the progressive spirit of the city. The Department is one of several around the nation that is actively working to redefine the role of policing in America. The Department strives to meet McAllen’s needs neighborhood by neighborhood with community policing and neighborhood oriented policing that focuses on problem solving and improvement of the quality of life for all residents.
McAllen Police Department offers a variety of exciting assignments including:
|Uniformed Services Division
||Support Services Division
|Bike Patrol Officer
Canine (K-9) Officer
Municipal Court Officer
Identity Theft Investigator
Auto Theft Investigator
Community Affairs Officer
|Criminal Investigations Division
|Crimes Against Persons Investigator
Youth Crimes Investigator
Warrant/Missing Person Investigator
Crime Scene Investigator
FBI Task Force
DEA Task Force
Emergency Services Unit (ESU)
Forensic Evidence Investigator
|Office of Professional Responsibility
Public Information Officer
Training Officer/Background Investigator
Salary and Special Pay (2015)
Starting Salaries for McAllen Police Officers are as follows:
|PPO I (Probationary Police Officer)
|PO II (Experienced Officer - 3 yrs)
|PO III (After 1 year of service)
|Intermediate Peace Officer
||$375.00 per year
|Advanced Peace Officer
||$750.00 per year
|Master Peace Officer
||$1,500 per year
||$900.00 per year
||$1,800.00 per year
||$2,400 per year
||$3,000 per year
||$1,375.00 per year
||$2,375.00 per year
||$5,000.00 per year
|Longevity Chart - Ten (10) Step Program
|PO III Step 1 After 1st year
|PO III Step 2 After 2nd year
|PO III Step 3 After 3rd year
|PO III Step 4 After 4th year
|PO III Step 5 After 5th year
|PO III Step 6 After 8th year
|PO III Step 7 After 12th year
|PO III Step 8 After 15th year
|PO III Step 9 After 20th year
|PO III Step 10 After 24th year
**Scale reflects Base Salary plus Step Increase; excludes Incentive, Education or Assignment Pay.
In addition to salary and incentive pay, the following benefits are provided to McAllen Police Department officers after the one-year probationary period.
All benefits are subject to change or elimination by action of the City Commission.
- Member of Texas Municipal Retirement System.
- Time and one-half or compensation for approved and eligible overtime.
- Eight city-approved holiday PLUS one (1) floating personal day annually.
- Longevity Step Program that provides annual increases during the first five years.
- Hospitalization and life insurance through the City of McAllen.
- Fifteen working days vacation after one year of service.
- Fifteen paid sick leave days per year, cumulative from year to year.
- Uniforms and other necessary equipment are furnished as well as cleaning for uniforms.
- Assignment Pay for certain assignments upon completion of probationary period.
- College Tuition Reimbursement policy as currently in effect for City of McAllen.
- Excellent opportunity for advancement.
- U.S. Citizenship.
- At least 21 years of age, and not older than 44 years of age, at completion of the McAllen Police Department Basic Peace Officer's Academy.
- High School Graduate or its equivalency.
- Honorable discharge from military service or selective service registration.
- Must possess 20/20 vision in each eye. Uncorrected vision cannot exceed 20/400 in each eye. Must be free of color blindness, night blindness and any other visual deficiencies or limitations.
- Must possess hearing with less than a 30-decibel loss. Uncorrected hearing cannot exceed a 60-decibel loss in each ear.
- Background investigation, pre-employment polygraph examination, and investigation of local, state and federal records required.
- Not currently under indictment for any crime offense.
- Have not been convicted (or placed on community supervision/probation) of an offense above the grade of a Class B misdemeanor or a Class B misdemeanor within the last ten years, or for any Class C misdemeanor involving the duties and responsibilities of a police officer.
- Never have been convicted of any family violence offense.
- Driver's license required and must not be prohibited by state or federal law from operating a motor vehicle.
- Not prohibited by state or federal law from possessing firearms or ammunition.
- Must not have had a license, issued by TCOLE, previously revoked.
Those who meet the requirements may be considered for employment with the McAllen Police Department upon successful completion of the following:
- Civil Service police entry-level examination.
- Pre-employment Physical Fitness Assessment.
- Applicant interview(s).
- Background Investigation.
- All medical/psychological certifications as required.
For Civil Service Test information contact:
McAllen Civil Service Department
1300 W. Houston Avenue
McAllen, TX 78501
Civil Service Director