Going green can be as easy as switching to reusable bags when you go shopping.
- Plastics are made from petroleum, a non-renewable resource
- Production of plastics releases toxic chemicals into the environment
- Plastic bags can create litter that clogs storm drains
- Plastic bags can last 15-1000 years in the environment
- Plastics do not decompose but instead breakdown into smaller bits. In the ocean these small pieces the size of plankton,
it is estimated by the United Nations that up to 46,000 pieces of plastic are floating in the ocean
- According to the EPA, somewhere between 500 billion and 1 trillion plastic bags are used per year
- Reusing just one bag daily can eliminate the use of 6 plastic bags per week
- Using reusable bags can reduce the need of over 20,000 bags over a lifetime
- Reusable bags can carry more than standard plastic bags
- Reusable bags are designed to be easier to carry
- Most reusable bags are made from eco-friendly fabrics
- Most reusable bags are also washable and will last many years
- Some stores provide discounts for brining in reusable bags, check with your favorite retailers to see if you can get a discount for going green!