The purpose of the City Auditor’s office is to independently and objectively add value and improve the City’s operations. It is designed to help the City departments to accomplish their objectives by conducting a systematic and disciplined approach in evaluating and improving their effectiveness. The City Auditor makes sure each department is following the city's standard operating procedures. Each year the audit committee consisting of two City Commission members and one Public Utility Board member approves a list of departments whose processes need to be reviewed. Once a department is reviewed, or audited, the findings are reported to the Audit Committee, who then reports to the City Commission.
The audits evaluates the adequacy and effectiveness of internal controls surrounding the City’s governance, operations, and information system. This includes if the City:
- Operates economically, efficiently, and effectively
- Enforces collection and reporting efforts
- Accounts for and safeguards assets from loss, damage, or inappropriate use
- Complies with applicable laws, regulations, established policies, plans, and procedures
- Manages and maintains the accounting and statistical data
- Implements controls and promotes their effectiveness at a reasonable cost
- Accomplishes its goals and objectives
The City Auditor's Office provides regular reports and updates to the City Audit Committee. The City Audit Committee is appointed by the City Commission and Public Utility Board and is composed of two City Commission Members and one Public Utility Board Member.
|Current City Audit Committees
|Mayor Jim Darling
|PUB Trustee Charles Amos
|Commissioner Joaquin "J.J." Zamora
|Abraham Suarez, CFE, CRMA
|Carlos E. Ramirez, MSA
||Assistant City Auditor
How to Report Fraud, Waste or Abuse:
The City of McAllen is committed to deterring fraud, waste, or abuse, and maintaining integrity throughout our organization. The following options extend only to City of McAllen municipal government resources and activities. Any type of fraudulent activity involving private businesses or governmental agencies, other than the City of McAllen, should be reported to the appropriate law enforcement authorities.
- Phone - Call (956) 681-1127 .(An automated answering system is available 24 hr/day, 7 days/week)
- E-mail -firstname.lastname@example.org
- Employee Fraud Tip Box -Employees can fill-out the Fraud Allegation Form and drop-off in the tip box, which are located next to the KRONOS clock in City Hall, Development Center, and Public Works.
- Mail - Complete our FRAUD ALLEGATION FORM and mail to: City Auditor’s Office Fraud Hotline, P.O. Box 220, McAllen, TX 78501