McAllen Police Department

Frequently Asked Questions

Crime Records Office

Q: Where are you located?
A: The McAllen Police Department Headquarters is located at 1601 N. Bicentennial Boulevard in McAllen, Texas. 

Q: What times are you open to pick up copies of reports and where do I pick up a copy of a report?
A: The Crime RecordsOffice is open from 8am – 6pm, Monday – Friday. The office is closed on city Holidays. Reports may be picked up at our headquarters location.

Q: Can you fax me my report?
A: No. Reports must be picked up in person or mailed to original requestor only, upon receipt of written request.

Q: Who do I talk to if I have a problem with my report?
A: The Crime Records Unit solely provides you with a copy of the report submitted to our Bureau. If you have any questions regarding the officer’s report, you may contact the Police officer that generated the report at (956) 681-2000.

Q: How soon can I get a copy of my report?
A: Due to the volume of requests, the information may or may not be available for the public at the time requested. If this should occur, the information will be released at the earliest convenience. You will be notified at the time of your request when you may come by and pick up the copy of your request.

Q: How can I know if an accident report is available and how much does it cost to get a copy?
A: You may call ahead of time to the Crime Records Office and inquiry on the status of your report at (956) 681-2080. All accident reports are $6.00 dollars and certified copies of accident reports are $8.00 dollars.

Q: How can I get a clearance letter if I am from out of state?
A: Submit a written request to the Police department along with a copy of your driver’s license to McAllen Police Department – Crime Records Office, P.O. Box 220, McAllen, TX 78505-0220. All clearance letters will be mailed back to original requestor.

Alarm Permits

Q: How long does my permit last for?
A: Permits are issued for a period of 1 calendar year (January – December) and are renewed January 1st.

Q: How much is it to get an alarm permit?
A: Alarm permits are $25.00 for monitored systems per calendar year, $50.00 for unmonitored systems per calendar year. These fees do not reflect fees charged by the alarm company. Additional fees apply for excess of false alarms.

Q: Do I have to renew my permit if I move to a different house in the city?
A: Yes, all permits are issued to a specified location. Any changes or cancellations in the permit location/holder must be notified to the Alarms division by phone or by mail.

Fingerprinting Services

Q: Do you charge to get my fingerprints done and if so how much?
A: Fingerprints are $5.00 per fingerprint card. The McAllen Police Department does not provide the fingerprint cards, only the service. Payment may be made by cash, check or money order. Check/Money Orders must be made out to "City of McAllen".

Q: Where do I get my fingerprint cards?
A: Verify the need for the fingerprints. State fingerprint cards can be obtained at your local TX DPS office (1414 N. Bicentennial Blvd, McAllen). Federal fingerprint cards can be obtained at your local FBI office (1200 N. McColl Rd, McAllen). The McAllen Police Department does not provide the fingerprint cards, only the service.

Q: Do you offer digital fingerprinting services?
A: Yes.

Q: What hours do you do fingerprints?
A: Fingerprint services are from 8:00 am – 11:00 am (Monday – Friday). There may be exceptions due to availability of personnel. You can call (956) 681-2092 to ensure fingerprints will be conducted on any particular day.

Training Unit

Q: How do I become a police officer?
A: Visit our Training Unit link for additional information on how to become a police officer for the City of McAllen or contact the Training Unit at (956) 681-2130.

Property Unit

Q: How can I get my property back?
A: Different types of property are received and released based on the type, status of the case, and the nature of the seizure. Contact the Property & Evidence Unit at (956) 681-2141.

Crimes Against Persons Unit

Q: What kind of crimes does the Crime against Persons Unit investigate?
A: Any serious offense, which occurs against an adult person. The most common being Assault and Harassment. However, most serious crimes may involve Robbery, Sexual Assault and Murder.

Q: I was a victim of a sexual assault by my spouse. Can I file criminal charges even if we are married and/or living together?
A: Yes. Texas law allows the filing of criminal charges for sexual assault committed by a person’s spouse.

Q: My spouse was arrested for assaulting me, but I did not file the charges. Can this be done?
A: Yes. Texas law requires officers at the scene of an assault to arrest the violator when the officer has reason to believe that family violence has occurred.

Q: I was a victim of a sexual assault when I was a child, but I did not report it. Can I still file criminal charges now that I am an adult?
A: Yes, under Texas Law there is no limitation for sexual assault offense as prescribed in the Code of Criminal Procedures Article 12.01 Felonies.

Q: I filed a police report and at the time, I told the officer that I wanted to file criminal charges, but I have changed my mind. What do I need to do?
A: In most cases, such a report would be assigned to an investigator that would contact the victim. When contacted, a victim can tell the investigator that they no longer wish to file criminal charges. In some cases, an investigator may ask for a sworn statement that you have changed your mind. That case may then be closed.

Q: What do I do if I filed a complaint and the person has already been arrested, but I no longer wish the charges to be filed?
A: After the person has been arrested and arraigned before a judge, the case is forwarded to the District Attorney’s Office. You will be referred to their office if you wish to drop the charge.

Q: What is a protective order and how does one go about obtaining one?
A: A protective order is an order issued by a judge which protects the person or family from acts of harassment or family violence by another person. There are two types of orders:

  1. Final Protective Order: issued by a District judge to protect the victim of certain offenses (most typically Family violence) and is in effect for 2 years. The person interested in obtaining such an order should contact the District Attorney’s Office and request to meet with their representative about applying for the order.
  2. Magistrate’s Order for Emergency Protection: issued by a Magistrate who arraigns a person after an arrest for family violence. When a person appears before a judge, after an arrest for family violence, the judge, the victim of the assault, the officer making the arrest or a prosecutor may request a protective order be issued on behalf of the victim. This type of order is effective for either 61 or 91 days depending on the circumstances of the arrest.

Special Investigations Unit

Q: Does the Police Department have a Narcotics Unit?
A: Yes. It is called the Special Investigations Unit (S.I.U.). The contact phone number is (956) 681-2180.

Q: How can I report suspicious/drug activity?
A: Reporting suspicious/drug activity to the Police Department is very important. Numerous crimes have been prevented and/or solved with information provided by citizens. Anyone can report suspicious activity or activity that they believe involves drugs by calling General information at (956) 681-2000 or the Crime Stoppers hotline at (956) 687-TIPS(8477).

Q: Do I have to identify myself when reporting any suspicious or illegal activity?
A: No. Anyone calling in to give information through any of the police department phone numbers can remain anonymous if they wish.

Q: Is there a reward or can I get paid for providing information?
A: The Crime Stoppers Program administers rewards for information that has leaded or leads to an arrest(s). For more details on rewards, contact McAllen Crime Stoppers at 687-TIPS (8477) or visit their website link. The Special Investigations Unit has a Confidential Informant Program whereby persons registered with the program can be paid for information. For more details on this program, contact the Special Investigations Unit at 681-2180.